Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Trattoria Stella, Myles and pigs

Myles Anton: I'd like to do a shout out. Basically, I had this idea that I wanted to do this whole animal thing this winter. And then Cherry Capitol Foods-which supplies local produce to restaurants-they had a class called "Pigstock" to teach local chefs about butchering. I was like, "Wow! This is perfect. That's what I want to do at the restaurant this winter." It was a three-day seminar this November. We went to a farm in Marion, which is where I got my first pig. We actually slaughtered the pig ourselves and cleaned them and processed them and learned how to do all these things with them. That kind of got me going. It was perfect timing. My first pig was a Mangalitsa heritage pig from that farm in Marion. The pig I got this past week: it was a different pig, a cross breed of Duroc and Yorkshire from Land of Goshen farms in Kaleva, near Arcadia in Benzie County.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home